Monday, March 2, 2015

The failure of "Organized Religion" and the Epidemic of Fear in American Life

In my practice of psychotherapy and addiction recovery, I am on the front line, in the trenches, and see what’s going on, from a very intimate perspective.

I subscribe to “Alternet” News, and today in my inbox, the following two stories appeared.  I found it precipitous because the two are directly related.  

In other words, “Organized Religion”s failure is one of the leading causes of the epidemic of fear that grips this country.  That’s why people are leaving churches, voting with their feet, and why so many identify as “spiritual but not religious.”

Fear is a very powerful emotion, and most of us can rationalize our way right into it with well meaning intentions.  

My prior blog post "We Are Thinking Ourselves Crazy" explains this in greater detail.

Here are the links to the two articles, I hope you will take the time to read them.  If you attend a church, consider if it teaches love or fear.  If it is based in keeping rules and fear of punishment, then consider looking for a different one.

If you do not attend any church, consider looking for some sort of "Spiritual Fellowship" that is not based in rule keeping or fear.  We need the strength of others to get us through hard times.  Being spiritual on your own is a very lonely place.





No comments:

Post a Comment